Social Security Q&A: Will private policy reduce disability benefit?
Question: I’m thinking about getting disability protection from a private company. If I become disabled and have a private policy, would it reduce my Social Security disability benefit?
Answer: No. Having private insurance does not affect your eligibility for Social Security disability benefits. But you may be interested to know that workers’ compensation and certain other public disability payments may affect your Social Security benefit. You can learn more and even apply for disability benefits at www.socialsecurity.gov/disability Also, read our publication, “How Workers’ Compensation And Other Disability Payments May Affect Your Benefits,” available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs .
Question: I understand that to get Social Security disability benefits, my disability must be expected to last at least a year. Will I have to wait a year to receive benefits?
Answer: No. You do not have to wait a year after becoming disabled to receive disability benefits. In fact, you should apply for disability benefit as soon as you become disabled. It may take months before a final decision is made on your claim. If your application is approved, we will pay your first Social Security disability benefit for the sixth full month after the date your disability began. For example, if your disability began on January 15, we would pay your first disability benefit for the month of July. However, we pay Social Security benefits in the month following the month for which they are due. So, you will receive your July benefit in August. To learn more, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/disability .
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213 or visit www.socialsecurity.gov.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Living on $2 a day: the new face of extreme...
- How innovators think, and what they do about it
- Balancing act: Are you happy at work? And...
- Renovation Solutions: What to consider when...
- Peter Huntsman named head of family...
- Dave Ramsey says: You can't force people to...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Should grads be allowed to declare bankruptcy...
- Living on $2 a day: the new face of... 18
- Should grads be allowed to declare... 12
- In our opinion: How family dynamics... 8
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 5
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2
- China September imports plunge in new... 1
- What can your kids expect in the... 1
- Balancing act: Are you happy at work?... 1