CHICAGO — Chicago police officers shot and killed two armed men in separate incidents on Sunday night on the city's South Side, the department said.
In two news releases, the department said the first shooting occurred at 7:10 p.m., and the second occurred at about 9 p.m. In the first incident, police said after receiving a call about two armed men, gang enforcement officers approached the two men matching the description of the gunmen, prompting one of the men to run away. Police said that after the man ran through a gangway, he pulled a gun from his waistband and pointed it at one of the officers, who then fired his gun, striking the man. A weapon was later recovered, police said.
The suspect was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. On Monday, the Cook County Medical Examiner's office identified the dead man as 19-year-old Roshad McIntosh of Chicago. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.
Less than two hours later, police responded to an exchange of gunfire that left two people — a male and a female — injured. According to a news release, when officers walked up to the scene, another male pointed a gun at them, and was shot after he refused to drop the weapon, as they'd ordered him to do. One officer shot him in the head, and the man was killed. His name had not been released by the medical examiner's office as of Monday morning. The police statement said the two injured people were in good condition at an area hospital.
Both shootings are being investigated by the Independent Police Review Authority.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 7
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7