Weather Underground, Associated Press
MEXICO CITY — Powerful Hurricane Marie kicked high swells along Mexico's northern Pacific coast on Monday, even as it weakened slightly to a Category 4 storm. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said it would likely raise waves along Southern California later in the week.
The Miami-based Hurricane Center in Miami said that Marie had sustained winds of up to 145 mph (230 kph) and was located about 465 miles (7505 kilometers) southwest of the southern tip of Baja California. It said the storm was moving west-northwest at 12 mph (19 kph).
Swells provoked by the storm were affecting much of Mexico's Pacific coast and the Hurricane Center warned of dangerous surf and rip current conditions.
Hurricane-force winds extended up to 60 miles (95 kilometers) away from the storm's center, with tropical storm-force winds reaching out to 310 miles (500 kilometers).
The southern Pacific coast state of Oaxaca requested federal disaster relief after about 10,000 homes were either damaged, flooded or cut off by mudslides on the state's mountainous rural roads due to rains associated with Marie last week. One man was injured in a mudslide but there were no reported deaths, the state government said late Sunday.
The government of Baja California Sur, closer to the hurricane's current location, said it would cancel some classes in the resort cities of Los Cabos as a precautionary measure.
- In Ferguson, mundane choices lead to tragedy
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- BLACK FRIDAY LIVE: Protests, beer and prison
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Official Christmas tree arrives at White House
- Families uncover Civil War drama, 150 years...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Evangelicals with gay children... 21
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12
- Attorney General Eric Holder:... 11