Weather Underground, Associated Press
MEXICO CITY — Powerful Hurricane Marie kicked high swells along Mexico's northern Pacific coast on Monday, even as it weakened slightly to a Category 4 storm. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said it would likely raise waves along Southern California later in the week.
The Miami-based Hurricane Center in Miami said that Marie had sustained winds of up to 145 mph (230 kph) and was located about 465 miles (7505 kilometers) southwest of the southern tip of Baja California. It said the storm was moving west-northwest at 12 mph (19 kph).
Swells provoked by the storm were affecting much of Mexico's Pacific coast and the Hurricane Center warned of dangerous surf and rip current conditions.
Hurricane-force winds extended up to 60 miles (95 kilometers) away from the storm's center, with tropical storm-force winds reaching out to 310 miles (500 kilometers).
The southern Pacific coast state of Oaxaca requested federal disaster relief after about 10,000 homes were either damaged, flooded or cut off by mudslides on the state's mountainous rural roads due to rains associated with Marie last week. One man was injured in a mudslide but there were no reported deaths, the state government said late Sunday.
The government of Baja California Sur, closer to the hurricane's current location, said it would cancel some classes in the resort cities of Los Cabos as a precautionary measure.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Ana turns into hurricane off the coast of Hawaii
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- Police hunt for clues near where Va. remains...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 67
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- Budget deficit drops to $483B, lowest... 26
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14