DES MOINES, Iowa — The Salt Lake Bees completed their first series sweep of the season with a 4-2 win over the Iowa Cubs on Tuesday afternoon.
Salt Lake fell behind 2-0 in the fourth inning on a two-run homer by Manny Ramirez, but cut the deficit in half in the sixth when Shawn O'Malley walked, moved to second on a balk, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a sacrifice fly by J.B. Shuck.
C.J. Cron led off the seventh with a single and went to third on a single to right field by Ryan Wheeler. Cron would score on a ground out by John Buck to tie the game and Wheeler would score on a two-out single by Vance Albitz to give the Bees a 3-2 lead.
Cron would cap off the scoring, as he led off the ninth with a home run to left field.
The Bees bullpen would combine for three and one-third scoreless innings with David Carpenter (2-1) going one and two-third innings for the victory. Dustin Richardson struck out the only batter he faced and Cam Bedrosian recorded the final four outs for his second save. Salt Lake starter Randy Wolf went five and two-third innings and allowed just two runs on five hits with five strikeouts and two walks.
Cron led the Bees with three hits and one RBI.
Salt Lake had not swept a road series since June 7-10, 2012, at Tacoma and have now won eleven consecutive games over Iowa dating back to May 17, 2012.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19