Mormons on social media react to Elder Bednar's counsel, announcement
Elder David A. Bednar, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke at Brigham Young University's Campus Education Week Tuesday morning and urged LDS Church members to spread gospel messages using social media.
The devotional was held at the Marriott Center, where viewers commented on the unusual number of screens.
Throughout his talk, Elder Bednar used the screens to show video clips of messages from other church leaders, including President David O. McKay, President Gordon B. Hinckley and Elder L. Tom Perry.
That was an awesome quote from David O! #byudevo— Ben Nielsen (@halduauthor) August 19, 2014
Its awesome to see these video clips. Multiple witnesses, prophets though the ages, have taught the same principles. #BYUdevo— Ben Brown (@oBenBrown) August 19, 2014
Listeners also appreciated Elder Bednar's explanation of how to appropriately use social media.
I'm loving the message of this talk. Be who you are on Social Media. Lift others up instead of tearing them down. #BYUDevo— Rhett Rogers (@SerenadeXS) August 19, 2014
Following Elder Bednar's announcement of "Meet the Mormons," a feature-length film that will be released in theaters in October, church members shared the trailer and other promotional material for the film online. More information regarding the documentary produced by the LDS Church can be found on meetthemormons.com.
As Elder Bednar concluded his talk, BYUtv announced on Twitter that the hashtag used during the speech, #byudevo, was trending in the United States.
Seems fitting that a talk on social media is trending. #BYUDevo— Kyle Campbell (@Y_Soup) August 19, 2014
After the devotional, social media users expressed appreciation for Elder Bednar's remarks.
I ❤️ Elder Bednar so much! You can always feel his testimony so strongly #BYUdevo— Brian Merrill (@brimerrill33) August 19, 2014
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 165
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- General Women's Session focuses on... 15
- State bills to protect religious... 11
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8