Keystone, Arno Balzarini, Associated Press
GENEVA — Three train cars derailed and 11 people were injured Wednesday after a Swiss mountain train ran into a landslide in the Alps. One carriage slid off the tracks onto a steep slope and was halted by trees.
The accident happened in a deep wooded valley between Tiefencastel and Solis, southeast of Zurich in the canton (state) of Graubuenden. Some 200 people were on board at the time of the accident, which followed heavy rain in the region.
Five people were seriously injured and another six sustained slight injuries, Graubuenden police spokeswoman Anita Senti said. They were taken to nearby hospitals.
Helicopters with an air rescue service helped with the recovery efforts, since the crash site was not close to a road.
By mid-afternoon, everyone had been evacuated from the train cars, with uninjured passengers taken to Tiefencastel and put on buses.
The train had set off from the ski resort of St. Moritz on a line that leads north to Chur, Graubuenden's administrative capital. It is operated by Rhaetische Bahn, which runs narrow-gauge routes in Switzerland's mountainous southeastern corner that are popular with tourists.
Switzerland's rail system is considered among the safest and most efficient in the world, despite the country's challenging terrain.
Accidents are rare, although in 2010 the popular Glacier Express tourist train derailed in the Alps in southern Switzerland, killing one person and injuring 42 others.
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of police...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Friend disputes Denver police account of...
- Blizzard-stricken East digs out amid forecast...
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 15
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 13
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 12
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11