Back-to-school shopping a chance to teach financial tips to kids
Teach the thrill of finding fashions for reduced prices to any age. Younger kids can help clip coupons and give adults a stack to sort through. On the receipt, show them how much money was saved because of the coupons they found, Dr. Gilboa says. Similarly, ask adolescents to browse the Internet for potential deals.
6. Reference shopping apps for assistance
Further tap into children’s investigating skills by having them help search for mobile apps that can lend a hand with shopping. A few apps to consider: Amazon Student (scan book barcodes from school lists to find bargain books), RetailMeNot (discover discounts for a range of items), Mint.com’s money management feature (organize and track budgets and spending), Key Ring (create and share shopping lists among multiple mobile devices), and Kidizen (buy and sell gently used children’s clothes).
7. Think about shopping as a bonding experience
Grabbing what is needed and getting back home quickly often is the goal for most families. But instead of trying to wrap things up at record speeds, treat the outing as a bonding experience. As children — particularly adolescents — pick out and try on clothes, use it as a chance to learn about their interests, trend tastes, and concerns about their body image and fitting into their school’s social circles.
Back-to-school shopping is “not just looking for school clothes but mining for a little bit more information about our kids,” Dr. Gilboa says.
©2014 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Visit the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at www.post-gazette.com. Distributed by MCT Information Services
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Volunteer deputy accused of shooting unarmed...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Are you rich or poor? The answer may be... 21
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2