FRESNO, Calif. — An unearned run in the eighth inning propelled the Fresno Grizzlies to a 6-5 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Tuesday night.
Salt Lake trailed 5-4 when Taylorsville High School product John Buck homered to center in the sixth to tie the game.
With one out in the eighth, Fresno catcher Guillermo Quiroz doubled down the left field line. After Bees reliever Michael Brady (0-2) walked Adam Duvall, a ground out by Jarrett Parker moved the runners to second and third. Chris Dominguez hit a ground ball toward first baseman Ryan Wheeler, who slipped going towards the ball, lost his balance and had the ball glance off his glove for an error as Quiroz crossed the plate with the eventual winning run.
The Bees fell behind 3-0 in the second, but tied it up in the third on an RBI double by J.B. Shuck and a two-run homer by Luis Jimenez. For Jimenez, it was his career-high 19th of the season.
Salt Lake took a 4-3 lead in the fourth, as Wheeler singled, moved to third on a double by Buck and scored on a ground out by Tommy Field.
Fresno regained the lead with two runs in the fifth off Bees starter Chris Volstad, who went six innings and allowed five runs, four earned, on six hits with seven strikeouts and one walk.
Buck led the Bees with three hits, two doubles and a home run, and one RBI, while Jimenez added two hits, including a homer, and two RBIs.
Salt Lake dropped three out of four in Fresno and will next face El Paso on Thursday to open up a five-game home series against the Chihuahuas.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19