FRESNO, Calif. — An unearned run in the eighth inning propelled the Fresno Grizzlies to a 6-5 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Tuesday night.
Salt Lake trailed 5-4 when Taylorsville High School product John Buck homered to center in the sixth to tie the game.
With one out in the eighth, Fresno catcher Guillermo Quiroz doubled down the left field line. After Bees reliever Michael Brady (0-2) walked Adam Duvall, a ground out by Jarrett Parker moved the runners to second and third. Chris Dominguez hit a ground ball toward first baseman Ryan Wheeler, who slipped going towards the ball, lost his balance and had the ball glance off his glove for an error as Quiroz crossed the plate with the eventual winning run.
The Bees fell behind 3-0 in the second, but tied it up in the third on an RBI double by J.B. Shuck and a two-run homer by Luis Jimenez. For Jimenez, it was his career-high 19th of the season.
Salt Lake took a 4-3 lead in the fourth, as Wheeler singled, moved to third on a double by Buck and scored on a ground out by Tommy Field.
Fresno regained the lead with two runs in the fifth off Bees starter Chris Volstad, who went six innings and allowed five runs, four earned, on six hits with seven strikeouts and one walk.
Buck led the Bees with three hits, two doubles and a home run, and one RBI, while Jimenez added two hits, including a homer, and two RBIs.
Salt Lake dropped three out of four in Fresno and will next face El Paso on Thursday to open up a five-game home series against the Chihuahuas.
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Rock On: Jazz hire a film classic (sort of)
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 76
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 64
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 41
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 31
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 18