Abbas Atilay, Associated Press
BAKU, Azerbaijan — Azerbaijan and Armenia on Monday both reported more losses in a sharp escalation of fighting over the South Caucasus region Nagorno-Karabakh, with 18 soldiers now confirmed dead.
The Azerbaijani region and some adjacent territory have been under the control of Armenian soldiers and ethnic Armenian local troops since the end in 1994 of a six-year separatist war. Both sides report frequent shootings and attempted incursions along the cease-fire line, but the latest outbreak of fighting has been the worst in many years.
Russia, the United States and the European Union have all expressed concern and urged both sides to respect the cease-fire.
Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said Monday that 13 soldiers were killed in the fighting that spiked over the weekend, while Nagorno-Karabakh's armed forces said five of its soldiers were killed.
It was not immediately clear what set off the latest violence between the former Soviet republics, with each side accusing the other of being the aggressor.
Armenia's prime minister said the presidents of the two countries were expected to meet at the end of the week in Sochi, Russia, although this has not been confirmed by Azerbaijan. Russia's foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov, said the presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan would have separate meetings in Sochi with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Lavrov said Putin would talk to both presidents about how Russia, the U.S. and France — which lead a longstanding but stalled international peace effort — could help with "strengthening trust and reducing the risks of confrontation," the ITAR-Tass news agency reported.
Neither side showed much willingness Monday to compromise.
Azerbaijan's Foreign Ministry said Armenia "bears full responsibility for the evolving dangerous situation" while Armenia's defense minister Seiran Oganian said his country was doing everything possible to lower tensions.
Avet Demourian in Yerevan, Armenia and Lynn Berry in Moscow contributed to this report.
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 25
- Latest on police-custody death: Curfew... 22
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16