DETROIT — The Detroit Tigers have added another Cy Young Award winner to their star-studded rotation, acquiring Tampa Bay's David Price in a blockbuster deal Thursday.
A person familiar with the trade, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet announced, did not say for whom the left-hander was dealt for.
The trade joins Price with Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander in the rotation for the AL Central-leading Tigers, giving Detroit the last three American League Cy Young winners.
The deal comes just hours after the Oakland Athletics got Jon Lester from the Boston Red Sox.
Price's departure became a clear possibility when the Rays fell way behind in the AL East race earlier this season. Tampa Bay has played much better over the last month and entered Thursday only 5 1/2 games behind a wild card — but the Rays decided to deal their ace anyway.
Tampa Bay signed Price to a $14 million deal for this season, avoiding arbitration, but he isn't eligible for free agency until after next season. That means Detroit's rotation — which also includes Anibal Sanchez and Rick Porcello — should be impressive in 2015 even if Scherzer leaves via free agency this offseason.
The Tigers have won three straight division titles, but they're still without a World Series championship since 1984. Last season's team lost to Boston in the AL championship series.
With a lineup anchored by Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez and Ian Kinsler — and that remarkable rotation — Detroit has remained in first place for almost all of 2014. The Tigers tried to shore up one trouble spot — the bullpen — by trading for Joakim Soria last week.
Now Detroit has emerged with Price in another bold move aimed at bringing a championship to the Motor City.
AP Baseball Writer Ben Walker contributed to this report.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 62
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22