Phelan M. Ebenhack, Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla. — Southwest Airlines and SeaWorld Entertainment are ending their 25-year-old marketing partnership, officials with both companies said Thursday, as the airline has been urged by animal rights activists to terminate the relationship.
The partnership won't be renewed at the end of the year when the current contract expires. As part of the partnership, three Southwest airplanes had various SeaWorld animals painted on their bodies. Those planes will be returned to Southwest's traditional livery.
SeaWorld officials said the decision was mutual. SeaWorld wants to concentrate on growing markets in Latin America and Asia, the marine park company said in a statement.
"Southwest and SeaWorld have enjoyed their long relationship, and wish each other continued success," the statement said.
SeaWorld has parks in Orlando, Florida; San Antonio and San Diego.
Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said it was a business decision as the airline intends to focus on international service.
Earlier this year, animal rights activist held a rally and dropped off a petition at Southwest, urging the airline to end the relationship. The activists cited the documentary "Blackfish," which explores what may have caused the killer whale Tilikum to kill SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau in 2010.
The documentary argues that killer whales, when in captivity, become more aggressive to humans and each other. Since the documentary, several entertainers have pulled out of planned performances at SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. parks.
Regarding the pressure from the activists, McInnis said Southwest has been in "listening and education mode."
"We ... have engaged and heard from conservationists, SeaWorld supporters, and others on all sides of this issue," McInnis said.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a...
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for upward...
- Vail set to announce that 2 Utah ski resorts...
- Fed is likely to delay 1st rate hike in 9...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Many taking too many risks on public Wi-Fi,...
- A more family-friendly minimum wage 27
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Hillary Clinton offers energy plans,... 10
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a... 7
- Court orders EPA to relax air-pollution... 4
- Fed is likely to delay 1st rate hike in... 3
- The art of complaining about a product 2
- Vail set to announce that 2 Utah ski... 1