David J. Phillip, Associated Press
OAKLAND, Calif. — A person with knowledge of the trade says the Oakland Athletics have won the Jon Lester sweepstakes, acquiring the left-hander along with outfielder Jonny Gomes from the Boston Red Sox for slugging outfielder Yoenis Cespedes before Thursday's trade deadline.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because neither club announced the deal.
Lester was sought by many teams, including Pittsburgh and the Los Angeles Dodgers, when A's general manager Billy Beane pulled off another blockbuster trade.
Lester is 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA in 21 starts.
Cespedes won the past two Home Run Derbys at the All-Star game. He is in the third season of a $36 million, four-year contract he signed before 2012.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16