David J. Phillip, Associated Press
OAKLAND, Calif. — A person with knowledge of the trade says the Oakland Athletics have won the Jon Lester sweepstakes, acquiring the left-hander along with outfielder Jonny Gomes from the Boston Red Sox for slugging outfielder Yoenis Cespedes before Thursday's trade deadline.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because neither club announced the deal.
Lester was sought by many teams, including Pittsburgh and the Los Angeles Dodgers, when A's general manager Billy Beane pulled off another blockbuster trade.
Lester is 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA in 21 starts.
Cespedes won the past two Home Run Derbys at the All-Star game. He is in the third season of a $36 million, four-year contract he signed before 2012.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15