Former Jazzman Paul Millsap added to Team USA training camp roster
John Amis, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Paul Millsap has a new summer job.
The Hawks All-Star forward was added to the 2014-16 U.S. Men’s Basketball Team roster Sunday. He will one of 19 NBA players who will participate in the first of three training camp sessions to be held Monday-Friday in Las Vegas. The team will also hold sessions in Chicago and New York later this summer. The camps will be used to decide the 12-man U.S. roster that will compete in the FIBA Basketball World Cup that will be held in Spain starting Aug. 30. The U.S. will try to secure an automatic berth in the 2016 Olympics.
Millsap joins teammate Kyle Korver, both former Utah Jazz players, on the roster. The Hawks are one of only three NBA teams with two players on the roster. The Wizards’ John Wall and Bradley Beal and the Warriors’ Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson are also part of the roster.
The team had an opening after the Timberwolves’ Kevin Love said last week that he would not take part in the World Cup “because of his current status.” Love has been the subject of many trade rumors this offseason.
Also on the U.S. roster are DeMarcus Cousins (Kings), Anthony Davis (Pelicans), DeMar DeRozan (Raptors), Andre Drummond (Pistons), Kevin Durant (Thunder), Kenneth Faried (Nuggets), Paul George (Pacers), James Harden (Rockets), Gordon Hayward (Jazz), Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers), Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers), Chandler Parsons (Mavericks) and Derrick Rose (Bulls).
Millsap is coming off a career-best season with the Hawks. He averaged 17.9 points and 8.5 rebounds in his first season in Atlanta after spending his first seven seasons with the Jazz. He made the All-Star team for the first time in his career. Millsap played an increasingly important role with the Hawks after the team lost starting center and top scorer Al Horford 29 games into the season.
©2014 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.)
Visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.) at www.ajc.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 37
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24