Denis Poroy, Invision
SAN DIEGO — Several members of "The Avengers" descended on Comic-Con to debut the first footage from the upcoming superhero sequel.
Robert Downey Jr. , Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo and Jeremy Renner were on hand with other cast members from "The Avengers: Age of Ultron," including Samuel L. Jackson and Colbie Smolders.
The footage kicked off with the superhero team attempting to pick up Thor's mighty hammer before launching into a barrage of action-packed imagery, including Hulk battling a giant Iron Man robot and a close up of Captain America's split shield.
"If I lift it, do I get to rule?" Tony Stark asked while trying to lift Thor's hammer — both with and without an Iron Man gauntlet.
The cast were joined by newcomers Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Paul Bettany and James Spader, who personifies the villainous mechanical force Ultron in the sequel.
"I play an 8-foot robot in this movie," joked Spader. "I've always played humans up until this point."
"Age of Ultron" is set for release May 1, 2015.
Follow AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang at http://www.twitter.com/derrikjlang.
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 6