Andrew Wiggins signs contract with Cavs, cannot be traded for 30 days
Tony Dejak, Associated Press
Andrew Wiggins signed his rookie contract on Thursday. In any other year, that would simply be a formality. Not this year.
Now that Wiggins has signed, he cannot be traded for 30 days. Wiggins is the centerpiece of a potential deal for Kevin Love, but now the trade cannot be executed for 30 days.
The Cavs, however, were forced to sign him in order to trade him because he held no monetary value otherwise, making a trade including him extremely difficult. Wiggins will earn $5.5 million next season, the full 120 percent allowed under the league’s rookie scale.
The team also announced second-round pick Joe Harris also signed. Harris signed a three-year deal, with the first two years guaranteed, a league source confirmed.
©2014 Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio)
Visit the Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio) at www.ohio.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35