Weber State football: Former linebacker Morales gets his chance with Carolina Panthers
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Anthony Morales was getting ready to re-enroll at Weber State.
Now he's on his way to the NFL.
The former WSU standout linebacker from Edmond, Oklahoma, is expected to sign a two-year contract with the Carolina Panthers on Thursday morning.
Morales, the Wildcats' defensive MVP for the past three seasons, went to mini-camp with the Panthers earlier this summer. He's got a contract; now he has to keep it.
"I'm on the 90-man roster and I've got to make the cut, so I'll be in the preseason games and then after the third one, they do the cut to 55 and then after the last game, they go down to 53," Morales said."[The Panthers] have 10 linebackers, including myself.
"It was weird because I was actually enrolling into Weber (on Tuesday) and then my agent called me and said, 'Pack up, you're a Carolina Panther.' It was kind of ironic; I still have two classes left to graduate, so I was just going to go back to Weber for this semester."
Morales ranks fifth in Weber State history with 342 career tackles.
He'll fly to North Carolina on Thursday to put his signature on the contract, then go to work.
"I feel good about making the roster," he said, "so we'll see what happens."
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 80
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 65
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22