LG Electronics Inc., File, Associated Press
SEOUL, South Korea — LG Display Co. said profit for the April-June quarter more than doubled as a stronger won reduced the value of its foreign debt and the World Cup boosted demand for ultra-high-definition TVs.
The South Korean display panel maker said Wednesday its net income reached 256 billion won ($250 million), compared with 105 billion won a year earlier. Operating fell, however, showing that most of the net profit improvement came from the debt revaluation.
Analysts polled by FactSet, a financial data provider, expected profit of 114 billion won.
The panel supplier for Apple Inc. said higher demand for UHD TVs during the World Cup increased panel shipments.
LG Display's parent company, LG Electronics Inc., is among the TV makers betting that a quadrupling of the resolution of high-definition TVs will convince consumers to upgrade.
Consumer interest in UHD TV sets, also known as "4K," is positive for panel makers especially because those advanced TV sets tend to come in big sizes, featuring screens larger than 40 inches.
LG said a slight decline in panel prices during the second quarter was offset by selling more panels.
The company was also helped by the rise of South Korean won, which reduced the size of its foreign currency denominated debt.
Overall sales, however, fell 9 percent to 5.6 trillion won. Operating profit plunged 55 percent to 163 billion won, slightly lower than analysts' forecast.
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Young entrepreneurs strut their stuff in bid...
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job...
- Park City approves lift connecting 2 ski resorts
- Astronauts board space station for 1-year...
- Salt Lake City to become next Google Fiber city
- Colorado drilling plan has safeguards for...
- Bill before Utah governor to regulate...
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- UTA board approves new pay plan for... 11
- AP Investigation: Slavery taints global... 6
- Oil council: Shale won't last, Arctic... 3
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt... 3
- Internet outages reveal gaps in US... 2
- Astronauts board space station for... 2
- Stericycle medical waste incinerator... 2