OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma man has been charged with sexually abusing boys and girls while volunteering at an organization in Kenya that assists neglected children.
Matthew Lane Durham, of Edmond, is accused of engaging in sex acts with as many as ten children aged from 4 to 10 years while volunteering at Upendo Children's Home in Nairobi from April to June 2014.
The complaint filed in the U.S. District Court of Western Oklahoma last week says the 19-year-old Durham has volunteered with Upendo since June 2012.
Durham wrote and signed a confession that an Upendo official provided to the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, according to an affidavit filed by FBI agent Scott Lobb.
In it, he admitted to sexually abusing boys and girls in a bathroom at the children's home. At least one of the victims is HIV positive, according to the affidavit.
During previous visits, Durham lived with sponsor families in Nairobi, but for his most recent trip he requested to stay at the children's home in an "overflow bunk," Lobb wrote.
A live-in caretaker at the children's home became suspicious of Durham's behavior and inquired with the children, who told her about the abuse, the affidavit states. The caretaker then reported the allegations to Upendo officials, who obtained a confession from Durham, confiscated his passport and notified local police, Lobb wrote.
Telephone and email messages left with Durham's attorney Stephen Jones on Tuesday were not immediately returned. Jones told The Oklahoman newspaper that the complaint is "shot through with inaccuracies" and that his client is the victim.
Durham returned to the U.S. last month. He was arrested Thursday in Edmond and is currently being held at the Logan County jail, according to the U.S. Marshal's Office. A preliminary hearing is set for Aug. 1.
Upendo's founders have not responded to a phone call and email seeking comment.
Durham faces four counts: traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct; engaging in illicit sexual conduct in foreign places; attempt and conspiracy; and aggravated sexual abuse with children. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
Follow Sean Murphy at www.twitter.com/apseanmurphy
- White House undergoes holiday lockdown after...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Black Friday mayhem: A tale of humor and...
- Obama admin says states lack authority to...
- Dino to help kick off Sinclair’s...
- Ads featuring Nazi imagery pulled from New...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 91
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 26
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 24
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 23
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 18
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 17