NAIROBI, Kenya — The Twitter account run by Kenya's military was taken over by hackers claiming to be from the international activist collective Anonymous, a military spokesman said Monday
No internal military systems were infiltrated when the Kenya Defense Forces' Twitter account was hacked early Monday, Col. Willy Wesonga said.
He said military technicians were trying to establish the identity of the people behind the cyberattack on the account, which is used to provide information to the public.
Another account run by a military liaison officer, Maj. Emmanuel Chirchir, was also hacked, he said.
"The #Kenya Ministry of Defence is under new management: #Anonymous," a posting from the hacked military Twitter feed said. "Dear@policeKE catch me if you can:D, " another post said, taunting the Kenya police to arrest those behind the hacking. Other postings pointed out problems the country is facing such as corruption and tribalism. One of the hacked tweets said Kenya needs a revolution of minds and attitude.
The hackers also posted an image of the Guy Fawkes mask that anarchists in the U.S. have worn when showing up to physical protests which has been associated with the group Anonymous.
Anonymous is a loosely affiliated global network of hackers that have attacked websites of countries and companies around the world to protest their actions.
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Ice snarls Michigan roadways, airport runways
- 37 homes collapse, dozens injured in...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 63
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14