NAIROBI, Kenya — The Twitter account run by Kenya's military was taken over by hackers claiming to be from the international activist collective Anonymous, a military spokesman said Monday
No internal military systems were infiltrated when the Kenya Defense Forces' Twitter account was hacked early Monday, Col. Willy Wesonga said.
He said military technicians were trying to establish the identity of the people behind the cyberattack on the account, which is used to provide information to the public.
Another account run by a military liaison officer, Maj. Emmanuel Chirchir, was also hacked, he said.
"The #Kenya Ministry of Defence is under new management: #Anonymous," a posting from the hacked military Twitter feed said. "Dear@policeKE catch me if you can:D, " another post said, taunting the Kenya police to arrest those behind the hacking. Other postings pointed out problems the country is facing such as corruption and tribalism. One of the hacked tweets said Kenya needs a revolution of minds and attitude.
The hackers also posted an image of the Guy Fawkes mask that anarchists in the U.S. have worn when showing up to physical protests which has been associated with the group Anonymous.
Anonymous is a loosely affiliated global network of hackers that have attacked websites of countries and companies around the world to protest their actions.
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Defeated boxer Pacquiao keeps faith, as do...
- Vonn says relationship with Woods is over
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 19
- More Americans spending at least half... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 9