Former Utah State standout Bobby Wagner says Broncos ‘looked scared’
Ted S. Warren, Associated Press
SEATTLE — Seattle Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner delivered another shot on the Denver Broncos, saying Tuesday they “looked scared” during Seattle’s 43-8 victory in the Super Bowl.
Wagner’s comments came on ESPN’s “Take Two” in an interview with Stephen A. Smith.
“Nobody wanted to catch the ball,” Wagner said. “Nobody wanted to come up the middle.”
Wagner referred to the early hit by Kam Chancellor on Demaryius Thomas and said from that point on, the game turned.
“If you look at the previous games, (Denver) got a lot of balls across the middle,” Wagner said. “That first hit (Thomas) came across the middle and (Chancellor) smacked him. You didn’t really see too many balls caught across the middle (after that). They were very timid. That says a lot about our defense.”
Wagner that “when you go out against our defense, you really have to have your head on a swivel . . . everybody is coming after your head.”
Wagner noted that the result was similar to Seattle’s 40-10 exhibition win over the Broncos. “Doesn’t matter who is on the field, if it’s the starters or the backups, our team is good,” he said.
Denver nose tackle Terrance Knighton responded on his Twitter account: “I welcome all the Seahawks players and fans to dwell on last year. We reloading and we ready for war.”
Seahawk Bruce Irvin answered with this tweet: “They damn near got a 50 Piece put on them. That’s very relevant lol.”
The Seahawks open their exhibition schedule Aug. 7 at Denver, then meet the Broncos again in Week 3 of the regular season, in Seattle on Sept. 21.
Wagner was also asked about losing some defensive linemen/pass rushers and whether that would hurt the Seahawks this season. Wagner instead said Seattle “got way better this year because we are all so young. We are all still growing.”
And asked about now being the hunted, Wagner said he wasn’t worried.
“We’ve got bullets, too,” he said.
©2014 The Seattle Times
Visit The Seattle Times at www.seattletimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 53
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 38
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 36
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35