CLEVELAND — Mike Miller had choices. None of them was better than playing with LeBron James again.
Miller has agreed to a $5.5 million, two-year contract with the Cavaliers, re-uniting the sharpshooting forward with James, his former teammate in Miami. Miller's contract includes a player option in the second year, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
The person spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the deal is not yet signed. Miller will make $2.7 million next season, and the option is worth $2.8 million, the person said.
The 34-year-old Miller also was coveted by Dallas and Denver. But the chance to play alongside James was enough to send him to Cleveland. Miller and James played together with the Heat for three seasons, winning two NBA titles. Miller reportedly had a three-year offer from the Mavericks.
Last season, Miller played in 82 games — the most since his rookie season — for Memphis. He shot 46 percent (107 of 233) on 3-pointers and averaged 7.1 points and 2.5 rebounds.
After agreeing to the deal, Miller posted a message on his Instagram account, thanking Grizzlies fans and acknowledging James.
"Thanks to Memphis for a great year!!" Miller wrote. "But I'm so excited to be a part of the Cleveland family and their fans. The only thing you can expect from me is everything I have! So excited to reunite with u my brother! I know I don't even need to tell you this but I will "Let It Fly".''
Miller gives the Cavs another outside offensive option and someone to help spread the floor for James, who signed a two-year, $42 million contract with Cleveland on Saturday.
Although Miller was slowed by injuries during his tenure with Miami, the Heat could always count on him to knock down big shots and James never lost confidence in him.
Miller has made 41 percent of his 3-point attempts during an NBA career that began with Orlando in 2000. The Magic drafted Miller, who played at Florida, with the No. 5 overall pick in 2000. He also has played for Minnesota and Washington.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35