Brighton's Osa Masina narrows school options, upgraded to five-star recruit
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Brighton High School athlete Osa Masina tweeted last week that he's narrowed his college options to five schools, leaving out all Utah schools — and now he's jumping up the boards as a prized recruit across the country.
Masina, a senior this season, said his top five includes Arizona State, Michigan, UCLA, USC and Wisconsin.
While he has been listed as a four-star recruit by multiple outlets, Masina upgraded to a five-star recruit by Scout.com this week. Though Masina plays at both running back and linebacker, he's listed by the website as the No. 2 linebacker prospect and No. 22 overall recruit in the country.
"Masina is a player that is just oozing with upside," the website writes about the Brighton senior. "He's a big athlete who has been a dominant running back at the H.S. level but projects best as an outside 'backer."
He remains a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and is the third-best linebacker recruit by the website.
Masina ran for 1,643 yards and 25 touchdowns as a running back last season. He also finished last year with 87 total tackles and 4.5 sacks.
His brother, Uaea Masina, is a linebacker at Utah. Uaea Masina recorded seven total tackles as a freshman in 10 games last season with the Utes.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45