Las Vegas Review-Journal, Jason Bean, File, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — The adult son of a Nevada rancher who hosted armed protesters against federal agents in a cattle roundup dispute in April acknowledged Monday that he faces arrest in a separate criminal case stemming from his felony conviction on burglary and weapon charges.
Cliven Lance Bundy, 34, said during a telephone interview with The Associated Press that he knows he's named in a contempt-of-court warrant issued July 8 in Las Vegas for failing to appear before a Clark County District Court judge who oversees a drug diversion program.
"I'm trying to get ahold of my counselor to see what I'm supposed to do," said Lance Bundy, who is not currently represented by a lawyer.
Bundy said he underwent outpatient surgery the day the warrant was issued and has been recuperating at his parents' home in Bunkerville, about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
The court record shows Bundy missed several previous hearings, and that officials said they were unable to reach him to notify him of court dates.
He could face two to eight years in state prison if he is found in violation of terms of the five years' probation imposed after he pleaded guilty in February 2013 to felony burglary and weapon theft charges.
Bundy attributed his conviction to an addiction to opiate pain killers, and said he has been getting counseling.
Bundy's parents, Cliven and Carol Bundy, said they thought their son obtained medical releases from the court-ordered drug program.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Medicaid enrollees strain Oregon; state...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Official: Air Algerie flight carrying 116...
- Dutch say plane's black box damaged but not...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 48
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 23
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 15
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 14