A survey by Orbitz.com, a travel website, showed 51 percent of U.S. residents are planning to spend at least $2,000 or more on their summer vacations this year vs. 44 percent last summer. An estimated 88 percent planned a vacation this year, up 11 percentage points from a year earlier, the survey found.
Since the recession, the travel industry has added 749,000 jobs to employ close to 8 million in May, a record high, according to the U.S. Travel Association, an industry trade group based in Washington.
State tourism rebounds
For Wisconsin destinations, things have also been looking better in recent years, said Tom Diehl, president of the Tommy Bartlett Inc. entertainment business in the Wisconsin Dells.
“Once you get out here into the Heartland, we basically rely on the region to provide us with tourism,” Diehl said.
“In 2009, we had a very slight dip,” he said, speaking of the Dells area. “But we have recovered. Every year has beaten the previous year.”
That matches what other state travel industry watchers are seeing.
Chet Gerlach, executive director of the Madison-based Association of Wisconsin Tourism Attractions, said tourism’s status is “good and getting better.”
“I think there is a pent-up demand, quite frankly, to travel,” Gerlach said. “I think people are feeling better about their jobs and their security.”
“I think it’s been kind of steady growth,” Gerlach added. “It’s been kind of constant, another percentage or two or three (of growth) every year.”
In the United States, “There is an improved optimism,” said Shane Norton, director of economics and country risk at IHS Global Insight. “People have got their jobs. People have caught up on belt tightening they took during the recession and after. They are looking forward.”
Bloomberg News contributed to this report.
©2014 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Visit the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel at www.jsonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Where does 'cool' come from?
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 5
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 3