Michael Dwyer, File, Associated Press
CLEVELAND — The three-team trade that gave the Cavaliers salary cap space to possibly land LeBron James is official.
The Cavs and Boston Celtics confirmed the deal on Thursday when the NBA moratorium on signings ended.
Cleveland sent guard Jarrett Jack and swingman Sergey Karasev to Brooklyn and center Tyler Zeller and a first-round draft pick to Boston. Cleveland acquired a future conditional second-round pick from the Celtics and the draft rights to forwards Ilkan Karaman and Edin Bavcic from the Nets. The Celtics will get guard Marcus Thornton — and his expiring $8 million contract — from the Nets.
The deal, first reported on Wednesday, is designed to give the Cavs enough room under the salary cap to offer James, the four-time league MVP, a maximum contract ($20.7 million).
James, who met in Las Vegas with Miami president Pat Riley, has not announced where he will play next season. He is scheduled to attend the World Cup final in Brazil this weekend.
Jack, who signed with Cleveland as a free agent last season, was scheduled to make $6.3 million, Zeller will make $1.6 million and Karasev $1.4 million.
In trading those salaries, the Cavs have enough to give James the max deal — if he decides to sign with Cleveland. James played seven seasons with the Cavs before leaving as a free agent in 2010.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22