Houston Chronicle, Brett Coomer, Associated Press
SPRING, Texas — A man involved in a domestic dispute opened fire at a suburban Houston home Wednesday evening, killing six people, four of them children, and wounding one woman, authorities said.
A standoff with the suspected gunman later ensued when deputies cornered him in a nearby cul-de-sac.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a written statement that precinct deputy constables were called to the house in the northern Houston suburb of Spring about 6 p.m. Wednesday and found two adults and three children dead. Another child later died at a hospital.
"It appears this stems from a domestic issue with a breakup in the family from what our witness has told us," Assistant Chief Deputy Constable Mark Herman of the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office told reporters.
Authorities did not release the victims' identities and did not say how they might be related to each other or the suspect.
The woman who survived identified the shooter and directed deputies to him.
Deputies were able to intercept, chase and corner the suspect in his vehicle in a cul-de-sac about 3 miles from the shooting scene, authorities said. Deputies were using armored vehicles to block the suspect's car and negotiations with him continued late Wednesday.
Sheriff's Sgt. Thomas Gilliland described the man as in his 30s with a beard "and cool as a cucumber." He said that when he and other officers approached, the man was "just sitting in his car looking out at us."
Danna Stevens, 75, and her husband, Texas Stevens, live four doors down from the home where the shooting happened and weren't home at the time. Danna Stevens said she did not know her neighbors well but said they had moved into the subdivision a year ago and "done a beautiful job" redecorating their home.
"This is just not something you expect to happen in this kind of subdivision," she said.
Associated Press writers Emily Schmall in Fort Worth and Ramit Plushnick-Masti in Houston contributed to this report.
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Cruz: Not supporting candidate who wages...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Kaine emerges as a favorite in Clinton's VP...
- Hundreds of demonstrators gather on...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 41
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues... 21
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20