Matthew Mead, Associated Press
The words hungry kids heading home from school hate most? "Have a piece of fruit."
Afterschool snacks are one of the toughest terrains for parents to navigate. The kids want a treat, but parents — mindful that dinner is just around the corner — want to keep it healthy. So we decided to come up with a healthy, filling snack that kids would still consider a treat.
These chocolate and granola covered frozen bananas are a healthy snack that eat like a frozen pop with a hit of chocolate. If your kids aren't into granola, you could substitute chopped nuts, crushed whole-grain pretzels or even raisins or dried cranberries.
FROZEN CHOCOLATE GRANOLA BANANAS
Start to finish: 20 minutes, plus freezing
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate bits
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup granola
Line a small pan with waxed paper.
Bring a small saucepan of water (about 1 inch) to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate bits and orange juice. Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water. Stir continuously until melted and smooth.
Peel the bananas, then cut each banana in half crosswise. Insert a fork into one end of each piece. Dip each banana into the chocolate mixture, using a spoon to scoop the chocolate over the banana to make sure it is completely covered. Roll the coated banana in the granola, then place the forked and coated bananas on the prepared pan. Freeze.
Nutrition information per serving: 350 calories; 130 calories from fat (37 percent of total calories); 14 g fat (8 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 33 g sugar; 5 g protein; 10 mg sodium.
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- The 9 most overlooked threats to a marriage
- Playing favorites can increase the chance a...
- The Clean Cut: Ellen DeGeneres gives money to...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Comedian Jim Gaffigan shares his 'Love Story'...
- A black and white Halloween: Classic suspense...
- Shannon and Dean Hale introduce a superhero...
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge... 8
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- Bound together: marriage rates and the... 5
- The Clean Cut: Ellen DeGeneres gives... 5
- Can too many dating options be a... 5
- This type of high school can increase... 4
- Has violence in media lost its edge? 3