Matthew Mead, Associated Press
The words hungry kids heading home from school hate most? "Have a piece of fruit."
Afterschool snacks are one of the toughest terrains for parents to navigate. The kids want a treat, but parents — mindful that dinner is just around the corner — want to keep it healthy. So we decided to come up with a healthy, filling snack that kids would still consider a treat.
These chocolate and granola covered frozen bananas are a healthy snack that eat like a frozen pop with a hit of chocolate. If your kids aren't into granola, you could substitute chopped nuts, crushed whole-grain pretzels or even raisins or dried cranberries.
FROZEN CHOCOLATE GRANOLA BANANAS
Start to finish: 20 minutes, plus freezing
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate bits
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup granola
Line a small pan with waxed paper.
Bring a small saucepan of water (about 1 inch) to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate bits and orange juice. Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water. Stir continuously until melted and smooth.
Peel the bananas, then cut each banana in half crosswise. Insert a fork into one end of each piece. Dip each banana into the chocolate mixture, using a spoon to scoop the chocolate over the banana to make sure it is completely covered. Roll the coated banana in the granola, then place the forked and coated bananas on the prepared pan. Freeze.
Nutrition information per serving: 350 calories; 130 calories from fat (37 percent of total calories); 14 g fat (8 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 33 g sugar; 5 g protein; 10 mg sodium.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 'Voice' contestant...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 20
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- Southern California conference... 10
- Erin Stewart: Is free-range parenting... 8
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- The Clean Cut: New BMW i3 Super Bowl ad... 2
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- Emma Watson to star in live-action... 1