Danny Johnston, File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — The Brooklyn Nets reached an agreement in principle Wednesday with Lionel Hollins to become their coach, moving quickly after the departure of Jason Kidd.
The deal with the former Memphis Grizzlies coach comes just two days after they made a trade with Milwaukee to allow Kidd out of his contract so the Bucks could hire him.
The Nets then met with Hollins on Monday night and again Tuesday before agreeing to the deal. Terms were not disclosed.
Hollins led Memphis to 56 victories and the 2013 Western Conference finals before he and the Grizzlies parted ways. The Nets considered him last year after firing P.J. Carlesimo before hiring Kidd.
He was the only known candidate the Nets interviewed. General manager Billy King said he had reached out to one other person who chose not to pursue the job.
Kidd led Brooklyn to a 44-38 record and the second round of the playoffs in his lone season but the Nets allowed him to pursue other jobs after denying his request for more power within the organization. The Bucks held Kidd's welcoming press conference earlier Wednesday.
Hollins played at Dixie Community College in St. George, Utah from 1971 until 1973, before transferring to Arizona State. He was drafted sixth overall in 1975 and played 10 years in the NBA with Portland, Philadelphia, San Diego (Clippers), Detroit and Houston.
As a coach, he's had three separate stints as the Grizzlies head coach. He also was an assistant with the Suns and the Bucks in the past.
Hollins is known as a strong defensive coach, with the Grizzlies holding opponents to an NBA-low 89.3 points per game in his final season. He is the franchise's career leader in wins and led them to three straight playoff appearances.
He takes over a veteran team in Brooklyn that could easily fit his style of play if Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce return, and Brook Lopez and Deron Williams come back healthy after surgeries.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 101
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 96
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25