Pine View QB Kody Wilstead on committing to BYU: 'It feels really good to know where I'm going in my future'
MATT GADE, Deseret News
ST. GEORGE — BYU received a commitment from Pine View quarterback Kody Wilstead Saturday evening following the program's annual 7-on-7 prep tournament. Wilstead is a 6-foot-6 prospect who reportedly tore up the competition during the event, causing BYU recruiting coordinator Geoff Martzen to tweet:
Love when a QB absolutely destroys our 7on7 and then decides he wants to be a Cougar! #2015ChosenOne— Geoff Martzen (@geoffmartzen) June 22, 2014
Following the competition Wilstead, with his family, informed BYU coaches of his intent to sign.
"I (had) been praying about it and every time I did I felt good about that decision," Wilstead said about his decision. "I was actually going to commit on Friday, but not all of the coaches were at the offices so I wasn't able to do it then. So I waited until after their 7 on 7 camp. It feels really good to know where I'm going in my future."
Wilstead intends on graduating this December from Pine View and then leave for a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before enrolling at BYU.
Upon his return he'll present the Cougars with a classic drop-back quarterback type with above-average mobility. He threw for 4,390 yards and 36 touchdowns last season for the Panthers — leading them to a berth in the 3A state championship game.
"I'm definitely a passing quarterback," Wilstead said. "But I'm mobile enough to extend plays. And right now I don't fit into their offense. But they told me they would style their offense around their quarterback."
Wilstead chose BYU over programs such as San Diego State and Louisville, believing BYU fit him best as both an athlete and as a person.
"I feel like BYU will help me in everything in my life," he said.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30