"Michael's number one priority was his children, not wealth or fame," said Tom Mesereau, the attorney who successfully defended Jackson against child molestation charges and stays in touch with his family.
"He wanted them to get the best education possible," Mesereau said. "He wanted them to be worldly."
Although the family's privacy is carefully protected — neither Mesereau nor Sanders would discuss specifics — some domestic drama has become public in recent years.
In 2012, Katherine was absent for 10 days when some of her children took her to an Arizona spa, causing a family rift that resulted in TJ Jackson, an adult cousin of Michael Jackson's children, being named their co-guardian.
Paris and Prince were deposed in Katherine's lawsuit against the promoters of her son's planned comeback concerts. Prince ably testified about his father's impact on the children, but Paris was hospitalized during the trial after authorities responded to a 911 call that the teenager had cut herself with a knife and taken 20 Motrin pills.
Lawyers and family members, including TJ Jackson, have said she is fine, but offer no further details. Paris, according to relatives, took her father's death the hardest.
Prince is still interested in pursuing a career in film production. As a child, he and his father would watch movies together, meticulously dissecting scenes. He recently attended a Hollywood premiere.
Blanket practices karate and is looking forward to a summer of swimming, his cousin TJ Jackson said.
Mesereau said the family seems to be doing reasonably well. Of their father, the attorney said, "He's missed very much."
Associated Press Writer Hilary Fox in London contributed to this report. Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Churches proceed carefully when encouraging...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13