"Michael's number one priority was his children, not wealth or fame," said Tom Mesereau, the attorney who successfully defended Jackson against child molestation charges and stays in touch with his family.
"He wanted them to get the best education possible," Mesereau said. "He wanted them to be worldly."
Although the family's privacy is carefully protected — neither Mesereau nor Sanders would discuss specifics — some domestic drama has become public in recent years.
In 2012, Katherine was absent for 10 days when some of her children took her to an Arizona spa, causing a family rift that resulted in TJ Jackson, an adult cousin of Michael Jackson's children, being named their co-guardian.
Paris and Prince were deposed in Katherine's lawsuit against the promoters of her son's planned comeback concerts. Prince ably testified about his father's impact on the children, but Paris was hospitalized during the trial after authorities responded to a 911 call that the teenager had cut herself with a knife and taken 20 Motrin pills.
Lawyers and family members, including TJ Jackson, have said she is fine, but offer no further details. Paris, according to relatives, took her father's death the hardest.
Prince is still interested in pursuing a career in film production. As a child, he and his father would watch movies together, meticulously dissecting scenes. He recently attended a Hollywood premiere.
Blanket practices karate and is looking forward to a summer of swimming, his cousin TJ Jackson said.
Mesereau said the family seems to be doing reasonably well. Of their father, the attorney said, "He's missed very much."
Associated Press Writer Hilary Fox in London contributed to this report. Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill criminalizing...
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Veteran '60 Minutes' newsman Morley Safer...
- Mars, Earth, sun line up perfectly in sky...
- Senate vote sets up tricky talks ahead on...
- Bipartisan deal in House to help Puerto Rico...
- Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill... 39
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 37
- At NRA, Trump slams Clinton for... 36
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 36
- Trump to wary Republicans: Trust me.... 32
- Superintendent: No need to obey... 29
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Hillary Clinton: Trump is "not... 18