Courtesy Tiffany Jones, Associated Press
Small business owners say photo-sharing app Instagram is becoming a more important part of their social media strategy. They are able to build their company's brand, gain customers and even boost sales.
Here's five tips for entrepreneurs looking to use it for their small business:
1. TELL A STORY. Upload photos that are more than just product shots. A bakery can take a snapshot of someone putting together a wedding cake or painting the walls of a new store opening soon.
2. GET INSPIRED. Look at what major brands are doing on the app and see if you can copy some techniques. Instagram also has a website with tips and links to big brands that are using its app at business.instagram.com.
3. USE HASHTAGS. A hashtag, which is a pound sign (#) before words or phrases, can make your photos easier to find. If you hashtag a picture with #weddingcake, people searching for wedding cakes on Instagram will be able to find you.
4. RESPOND TO QUESTIONS. As your following grows, so will the comments from users. People ask where they can buy items, sizes or what time your store closes. Those questions need to be monitored so you don't miss a sale.
REPOST CUSTOMER PHOTOS. Using hashtags, search Instagram for people posting about your company and repost great pics. This will inspire more sharing and get your company's product in front of more people. You'll need a separate app to repost, such as PhotoRepost or Repost for Instagram, because it can't be done from the Instagram app yet.
- What the Senate’s tax break extensions...
- Heroes 2014: Columnist's hard-nosed, biblical...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- What are people gifting this year? Data from...
- Low gas prices are great, but could be...
- Guaranteeing results: College sees small, big...
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral?
- BBC exposes inhumane working conditions... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral? 5
- Low gas prices are great, but could be... 4
- What the Senate’s tax break... 4
- N. Korea compares Obama to monkey in... 3
- US consumer spending up solid 0.6 pct.... 1
- Guaranteeing results: College sees... 1