A's pitcher Drew Pomeranz breaks right hand punching chair, placed on disabled list
Chris O'Meara, AP
OAKLAND, Calif. — Athletics left-hander Drew Pomeranz was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after breaking his right hand punching a chair in frustration.
Pomeranz was injured when he whacked the back of a chair Monday night following his shortest outing of the season. Right-hander Evan Scribner, who was on Oakland's opening-day roster, was recalled from Triple-A Sacramento.
The A's also acquired minor league lefty Brad Mills from the Milwaukee Brewers for cash.
Pomeranz took the loss Monday night against Texas after allowing a career-high eight runs — seven earned — in 3 2-3 innings. He was called into manager Bob Melvin's office before addressing the media after the game.
Pomeranz, who was holding a plate of food in his right hand, did not indicate anything was wrong when speaking to reporters.
"I know it wasn't intentional, but at the same time he has to realize there are consequences," Melvin said. "I know it was out of frustration, but it is disappointing. It affects how we go about our business here. He was throwing well for us."
Pomeranz is 5-4 with a 2.91 ERA in 17 games, including eight starts, with the A's.
He began the season in the bullpen, going 1-1 with a 1.98 ERA in nine relief appearances. He moved into the starting rotation May 7 and is 4-3 with a 3.21 ERA in eight starts since. This is his second career stint on the DL.
Mills has spent the entire season at Triple-A Nashville, where he was 4-2 with a 1.56 ERA in 14 games, including 12 starts. His ERA was the lowest in the Pacific Coast League.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22