A's pitcher Drew Pomeranz breaks right hand punching chair, placed on disabled list
Chris O'Meara, AP
OAKLAND, Calif. — Athletics left-hander Drew Pomeranz was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after breaking his right hand punching a chair in frustration.
Pomeranz was injured when he whacked the back of a chair Monday night following his shortest outing of the season. Right-hander Evan Scribner, who was on Oakland's opening-day roster, was recalled from Triple-A Sacramento.
The A's also acquired minor league lefty Brad Mills from the Milwaukee Brewers for cash.
Pomeranz took the loss Monday night against Texas after allowing a career-high eight runs — seven earned — in 3 2-3 innings. He was called into manager Bob Melvin's office before addressing the media after the game.
Pomeranz, who was holding a plate of food in his right hand, did not indicate anything was wrong when speaking to reporters.
"I know it wasn't intentional, but at the same time he has to realize there are consequences," Melvin said. "I know it was out of frustration, but it is disappointing. It affects how we go about our business here. He was throwing well for us."
Pomeranz is 5-4 with a 2.91 ERA in 17 games, including eight starts, with the A's.
He began the season in the bullpen, going 1-1 with a 1.98 ERA in nine relief appearances. He moved into the starting rotation May 7 and is 4-3 with a 3.21 ERA in eight starts since. This is his second career stint on the DL.
Mills has spent the entire season at Triple-A Nashville, where he was 4-2 with a 1.56 ERA in 14 games, including 12 starts. His ERA was the lowest in the Pacific Coast League.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41