Victor R. Caivano, Associated Press
After weeks of anxiety over last-minute preparations, the World Cup finally got underway in Brazil, and there was action and surprises for all.
As expected Brazil defeated Croatia in the opening game of the tournament, with Neymar scoring the opening goal.
Then the Netherlands shocked many by demolishing the reigning champion, Spain, with the combined determination and talent of Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben. Van Persie scoring one of the most beautiful goals ever.
Fans around the globe were taken to rapturous heights and nerve-wracking lows as they watched their national teams confront each other on the pitch.
Some Brazilians took to the streets to continue their protests over the high cost of putting on the World Cup.
This gallery was curated by photo editor Leslie Mazoch in Mexico City.
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between BYU...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Rapid Fire: Hamson cements her legacy; Utah...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 102
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26