Victor R. Caivano, Associated Press
After weeks of anxiety over last-minute preparations, the World Cup finally got underway in Brazil, and there was action and surprises for all.
As expected Brazil defeated Croatia in the opening game of the tournament, with Neymar scoring the opening goal.
Then the Netherlands shocked many by demolishing the reigning champion, Spain, with the combined determination and talent of Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben. Van Persie scoring one of the most beautiful goals ever.
Fans around the globe were taken to rapturous heights and nerve-wracking lows as they watched their national teams confront each other on the pitch.
Some Brazilians took to the streets to continue their protests over the high cost of putting on the World Cup.
This gallery was curated by photo editor Leslie Mazoch in Mexico City.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6