OKLAHOMA CITY — Salt Lake scored seven runs over the first two innings to cruise to an 8-5 win over Oklahoma City on Thursday night.
The Bees jumped in front when Shawn O'Malley and J.B. Shuck delivered back-to-back doubles. One out later, Efren Navarro drove home Shuck with a double to make it 2-0. Later in the first, Zach Borenstein and Tommy Field had consecutive RBI singles to make it 4-0. Salt Lake added three more runs in the second inning on a sacrifice fly by Shuck, and RBI singles by Navarro and Brennan Boesch. Navarro led the Bees with three hits and two runs batted in, while Shuck added one hit and two RBI.
Veteran Joel Pineiro (1-1), making his second start with the Bees, earned the win as he went five innings and allowed five runs, three earned, on 11 hits with seven strikeouts and no walks.
Dustin Richardson threw three scoreless innings and tied a franchise record by striking out five consecutive RedHawk batters. Yoslan Herrera worked a scoreless ninth to pick up his first save of the season, as the Bees earn a split of their four game series in Oklahoma City.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45