Tony Avelar, ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES — ESPN has hired Landon Donovan to offer commentary on the U.S. soccer team he was cut from just before the World Cup.
The all-time American leader in goals and assists, the 32-year-old Donovan was dropped last month in a highly debated move by coach Jurgen Klinsmann. He will make his debut during ESPN's two-hour World Cup preview show Wednesday.
"Adding Landon to our ESPN roster just before the World Cup is a coup because he knows the United States team better than anyone having played such a huge role in its success, especially at this event," said Jed Drake, ESPN's executive producer for World Cup coverage. "Landon is also one of this country's biggest sports stars and we believe that he will help attract even more fans to our monthlong coverage."
Donovan will work out of the company's Los Angeles studios, with a particular focus on his former team. He will provide analysis before and after the Americans' group-stage matches and during halftime. Donovan will also appear on shows such as "SportsCenter."
Donovan played in the last three World Cups, scoring a U.S.-record five goals. His thrilling stoppage-time goal against Algeria sent the Americans to the second round four years ago.
Former teammate Jozy Altidore said in Sao Paulo he wasn't too surprised by the move.
"He's a smart guy. He knows the game very well," Altidore said. "It was always going to going to happen — right? — him to be a commentator."
Donovan said in a statement released by ESPN that he hoped "to provide unique insights for our amazing U.S. Soccer fans."
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45