Tony Avelar, ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES — ESPN has hired Landon Donovan to offer commentary on the U.S. soccer team he was cut from just before the World Cup.
The all-time American leader in goals and assists, the 32-year-old Donovan was dropped last month in a highly debated move by coach Jurgen Klinsmann. He will make his debut during ESPN's two-hour World Cup preview show Wednesday.
"Adding Landon to our ESPN roster just before the World Cup is a coup because he knows the United States team better than anyone having played such a huge role in its success, especially at this event," said Jed Drake, ESPN's executive producer for World Cup coverage. "Landon is also one of this country's biggest sports stars and we believe that he will help attract even more fans to our monthlong coverage."
Donovan will work out of the company's Los Angeles studios, with a particular focus on his former team. He will provide analysis before and after the Americans' group-stage matches and during halftime. Donovan will also appear on shows such as "SportsCenter."
Donovan played in the last three World Cups, scoring a U.S.-record five goals. His thrilling stoppage-time goal against Algeria sent the Americans to the second round four years ago.
Former teammate Jozy Altidore said in Sao Paulo he wasn't too surprised by the move.
"He's a smart guy. He knows the game very well," Altidore said. "It was always going to going to happen — right? — him to be a commentator."
Donovan said in a statement released by ESPN that he hoped "to provide unique insights for our amazing U.S. Soccer fans."
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 111
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 69
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37