zimmytws, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Social Security questions and answers on Disability:
Q: What are the requirements for receiving disabled widow’s benefits?
A:You may be able to get disabled widow(er)’s benefits at age 50 if you meet Social Security’s disability requirement. Your disability must have started before age 60 and within seven years of the latest of the following dates: the month the worker died; the last month you were entitled to survivors benefits on the worker’s record as a parent caring for a surviving minor child; the month your previous entitlement to disabled widow(er)’s benefits ended because your disability ended. To learn more, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify9.htm.
Q: I understand that to get Social Security disability benefits, my disability must last at least a year or be expected to result in death. But I’m disabled now. Does this mean that I must wait a year after becoming disabled before I can receive benefits?
A: No. You do not have to wait a year after becoming disabled. If you’re disabled and expect to be out of work for at least a year, you should apply for disability benefits right away. It can take months to process an application for disability benefits. If we approve your application, your first Social Security disability benefit will be paid for the sixth full month after the date your disability began. For more information about Social Security disability benefits, refer to Disability Benefits at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213 or visit www.socialsecurity.gov.)
©2014 Social Security Administration
Visit Social Security Administration at www.mctdirect.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- What millennials need to do to retire...
- How to reap the financial benefits of your...
- Confident Trump seeks knockout of Cruz in...
- Mystery solved? Australian says he's Bitcoin...
- Advocates: High court signals it won't stop...
- Corporate earnings keep falling, but there...
- Wal-Mart brings back greeters at the store door
- Michelle Singletary: The stop, drop and roll...
- Confident Trump seeks knockout of Cruz... 11
- What millennials need to do to retire... 10
- Advocates: High court signals it won't... 7
- How to reap the financial benefits of... 6
- Apple reports iPhone sales down, 1st... 3
- Corporate earnings keep falling, but... 1
- Mystery solved? Australian says he's... 0
- Wal-Mart brings back greeters at the... 0