zimmytws, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Social Security questions and answers on Disability:
Q: What are the requirements for receiving disabled widow’s benefits?
A:You may be able to get disabled widow(er)’s benefits at age 50 if you meet Social Security’s disability requirement. Your disability must have started before age 60 and within seven years of the latest of the following dates: the month the worker died; the last month you were entitled to survivors benefits on the worker’s record as a parent caring for a surviving minor child; the month your previous entitlement to disabled widow(er)’s benefits ended because your disability ended. To learn more, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify9.htm.
Q: I understand that to get Social Security disability benefits, my disability must last at least a year or be expected to result in death. But I’m disabled now. Does this mean that I must wait a year after becoming disabled before I can receive benefits?
A: No. You do not have to wait a year after becoming disabled. If you’re disabled and expect to be out of work for at least a year, you should apply for disability benefits right away. It can take months to process an application for disability benefits. If we approve your application, your first Social Security disability benefit will be paid for the sixth full month after the date your disability began. For more information about Social Security disability benefits, refer to Disability Benefits at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213 or visit www.socialsecurity.gov.)
©2014 Social Security Administration
Visit Social Security Administration at www.mctdirect.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in U.S.,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 12
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 1
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,... 1