Attorney Ramzi Kassem, who has represented prisoners at Guantanamo for nearly a decade, said he was told by one client that just before the five Taliban were transferred the prison was locked down in unusually tight security for what they were told was the approach of a hurricane.
"The prisoners saw right through that and knew something big was up," said Kassem, a law professor at the City University of New York. "Within a day or two of the event, everyone knew."
The mood appeared calm on Saturday, the first time a journalist was allowed inside the detention center since the swap. Prisoners were seen in Camp 6, where nearly 80 men are held, listening to headphones and chatting in a communal pod. There were no obvious signs of strife in Camp 5, which is used for prisoners who are considered "non-compliant" and holds about 60-70 men in a stricter, single-cell environment. Journalists are not permitted to see Camp 7, home to the Sept. 11 defendants and others deemed "high-value" by the Pentagon.
The release of the five Taliban has created a sense of optimism, at least for now, said the prison's Muslim cultural affairs adviser, who can only be identified by the nickname "Zak," under military security rules. "They are looking at it as what could be the opening of the door for future transfers," he said. "They are just analyzing it like everybody else."
Kassem said he wants to see the Obama administration "bear down on the Defense Department" and resume transfers. "It is sickening that some politicians are trying to scapegoat Guantanamo prisoners who have been cleared for release," he said.
Ben Fox on Twitter: https://twitter.com/benfoxatap
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 25
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 13
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 10