"The Seattle Pacific University community has endured a senseless act of violence resulting in the death of one of our precious students and the injury of two others," school President Daniel J. Martin said in a statement released Saturday. "Our students' well-being has been and always will be our first concern. We have surrounded them with caring Residence Life staff members, faculty, grief counselors, campus ministers, and local pastors."
Meanwhile, thousands of dollars are being donated to honor the student credited with thwarting the shooting.
Jon Meis and other students stopped the gunman. Meis has been credited with pepper-spraying and pinning the gunman while he was reloading his shotgun in the lobby of the building where the shooting happened.
Soon after Meis was identified, praise began to pour out on social media sites. Someone found Meis' wedding registry, and people quickly bought out most of the wish list.
That's when ESPN sports radio producer Jessamyn McIntyre got the idea to begin a GoFundMe site for Meis and his fiancee's honeymoon and future. The site quickly went viral.
According to the page's statistics, over $26,000 from more than 830 donations has been raised as of Saturday afternoon — tallies that are expected to increase.
McIntyre said she hasn't had direct contact with the Meis family, who has asked for privacy. But she has left them her contact information. She also contacted university officials. She will leave the fundraising page up for a week, unless the family asks her to take it down.
On the donations page, people continue praising Meis. One person posted, "Only one word needed: Inspiring," to go with a $20 donation.
Seattle university shooting 911 calls: http://bit.ly/1kNVZdj
GoFundMe page for Jon Meis: http://bit.ly/1uARZQz
GiveForward page for Paul Lee: http://bit.ly/1oIGnqX
Manuel Valdes can be reached at http://twitter.com/ByManuelValdes
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Trial opens for Detroit officer who killed...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Ex-VA doctor: Phoenix report a 'whitewash'
- Officials: California wildfire destroyed,...
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL concern
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 17
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7