Bob Daugherty, File, Associated Press
Unbridled jubilation. That's the emotion most displayed when champions are crowned for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Some will raise their trophies high in the air. Others will cover their mouths in shock. Still more will bow their heads in disbelief. One literally leaped for joy.
Here are four decades worth of images chronicling reactions to being the best speller in the land.
Follow AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Steven Powell ordered to serve more jail time...
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12