Bob Daugherty, File, Associated Press
Unbridled jubilation. That's the emotion most displayed when champions are crowned for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Some will raise their trophies high in the air. Others will cover their mouths in shock. Still more will bow their heads in disbelief. One literally leaped for joy.
Here are four decades worth of images chronicling reactions to being the best speller in the land.
Follow AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- US trained Alaskans as secret 'stay-behind...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11