Bob Daugherty, File, Associated Press
Unbridled jubilation. That's the emotion most displayed when champions are crowned for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Some will raise their trophies high in the air. Others will cover their mouths in shock. Still more will bow their heads in disbelief. One literally leaped for joy.
Here are four decades worth of images chronicling reactions to being the best speller in the land.
Follow AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- Egypt army says plane wreckage found near...
- Trump to wary Republicans: Trust me. Really.
- India records its hottest temperature ever...
- Stocks move higher, led by technology and banks
- Nigeria: 2nd Chibok girl rescued was not...
- New Taiwan president omits one-China...
- Pregnant women in US with Zika spikes on new...
- At NRA, Trump slams Clinton for... 39
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 37
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- Trump to wary Republicans: Trust me.... 32
- Superintendent: No need to obey... 31
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- If Hillary becomes president, will she... 19
- Anti-Trump protests turn violent... 18