Bob Daugherty, File, Associated Press
Unbridled jubilation. That's the emotion most displayed when champions are crowned for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Some will raise their trophies high in the air. Others will cover their mouths in shock. Still more will bow their heads in disbelief. One literally leaped for joy.
Here are four decades worth of images chronicling reactions to being the best speller in the land.
Follow AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- A decade after welcoming wind, states reconsider
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service resignation...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Charging documents show Phelps DUI tied to...
- US Ebola case stokes concerns for Liberians...
- Jail ordered for Idaho man in FLDS abuse case
- More bodies found on Japanese volcano; toll...
- Saudi overhaul reshapes Islam's holiest city...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Obama seeks traction on economy amid... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service... 11
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at... 10