Bob Daugherty, File, Associated Press
Unbridled jubilation. That's the emotion most displayed when champions are crowned for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Some will raise their trophies high in the air. Others will cover their mouths in shock. Still more will bow their heads in disbelief. One literally leaped for joy.
Here are four decades worth of images chronicling reactions to being the best speller in the land.
Follow AP photographers and photo editors on Twitter: http://apne.ws/15Oo6jo
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Latest on flooding: Body of missing Texas...
- Photo gallery: Aerial views of floodwaters in...
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 36
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7