David Goldman, AP
ATLANTA — NFL owners will not vote on expanding the playoffs to 14 teams until fall at the earliest.
The addition of two teams in the playoffs was discussed Tuesday at the league's spring meetings, but several owners and team executives said no vote would occur. There is strong sentiment among the owners to add a wild-card team in each conference to the postseason, most likely beginning in 2015.
Such a setup would eliminate one of the first-round byes, with only the team with the best record in each conference getting a week off at the beginning of the playoffs.
The players' union says it needs to be consulted on an expanded postseason.
Later Tuesday, the owners will vote on the site of the 2018 Super Bowl, with New Orleans, Indianapolis and Minneapolis bidding.
New director of football operations Troy Vincent hired three advisers Tuesday, including Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary. Vincent, a former All-Pro defensive back, also hired former NFL player and coach Jimmy Raye and former player and general manager Mike Reinfeldt.
Among other chores, the three new hires will serve as liaisons to league coaches and front-office personnel.
"These men bring sound wisdom, football experience and insight that helps us support our clubs and coaches, as well as grow and develop our players and game," Vincent said.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 24
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 9