University of Michigan Health System, Associated Press
DETROIT — A $7 million project at the University of Michigan Health System will create a new place for the most critically ill and injured adults it serves to get initial emergency care, officials said.
The Emergency Critical Care Center will be set up within the health system's existing adult Emergency Department at University Hospital in Ann Arbor. Funding for the project was approved Thursday by the school's Board of Regents at a meeting in Dearborn.
The center, known as EC3, could help shorten — or eliminate, in some cases — the stay of patients in intensive care units, the health system said.
"We are seeing a growing number of complex critically ill and injured emergency patients who require time-sensitive diagnosis and treatment in order to achieve the best outcomes," said Dr. Robert Neumar, chairman of the Medical School's Department of Emergency Medicine, said in a statement. "EC3 will give us an environment where we can deliver the right care at the right time, beginning as soon as the patient arrives in the ED."
The 7,800-square-foot EC3 is scheduled to open in two phases starting in spring 2015. It will have five resuscitation/trauma bays and nine patient rooms. It also will be a place to help test new technologies and treatments that could help monitor, diagnose and help patients.
"As we seek to push this type of care forward ... the EC3 will act as a testbed of new ideas," said Dr. Kyle Gunnerson, an emergency physician and critical care specialist who will lead EC3.
The Emergency Critical Care Center, which is designed as an ICU-level environment for initial care, will use space previously used for taking care of children before the opening of the pediatric emergency department in the new C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Wish granted: Six-year-old boy will be...
- 2 suicide car bombs near UN offices kill 13...
- Afghan official says major offensive against...
- 2 attackers slay priest in Normandy church,...
- Letter foretold Japan rampage that killed 19...
- Historic solar flight marks first...
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 84
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 45
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34