ST. GEORGE — Rich High School senior McKay Jarman led the way for the Rebels as they captured a narrow victory over Green River, 732-737, in the 1A Utah State Golf Championship held at South Gate Golf Club Tuesday and Wednesday.
Shooting consistent rounds of 81-84 (165) Jarman surprised no one as he followed a great year in Region 17 with a solid state performance.
But when it comes to most improved during a 24-hour turnaround, younger brother Mitch Jarman took the cake — and the team — on a wild ride directly to the winners' circle. After struggling with a disappointing first-round 98 Tuesday, Mitch, a sophomore, returned to the form he had shown during Region 17 competition. His second-round 86 was the exact 12 strokes improvement needed for Rich to erase the lead held by Green River after Tuesday's play.
Asked about the difference between Tuesday and Wednesday, Mitch had a one word answer: Chipping, he said.
Its a tough course, said the older Jarman, who displayed little trouble handling the fast greens in the St. George heat. You cant make mistakes on the fairways.
McKay finished second in individual play, edging out Monticello's Tanner Eardley (80,86-166) with a dramatic 2-stroke turnaround birdie on the last hole. Milford's Garreth Mayer finished with medalist honors with 81-81 (162.)
Green River took the first-round lead 360-372 behind the stellar play of Chance Pfander, who opened with a tournament low of 75. But Pfander slipped to a second-round 97, and Green River had to settle for second.
"I didn't hit the ball good today," said Pfander. "I missed a lot of birdies; nothing went my way."
Pfander's 172 was still Green River's low score by 15 strokes.
Monticello finished 3rd with a team total of 744.
Eardley, who finished third individually, said he did not play up to his region performances.
"The course was in great condition," he said. "But I couldn't judge the putts. I hit it too far, or left it short."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19