Evan Vucci, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The House on Friday passed a bill boosting support for charter schools as part of a GOP-led push to promote school choice.
The bipartisan measure would provide $300 million annually to expand charter schools and consolidate two programs. It would provide state grants to expand and replicate high-quality charter schools and help fund the acquisition of buildings for the schools.
The measure passed 360 to 45.
"Clearly, these institutions are a valuable part of a successful education system," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minn, the chairman of the House Education Committee.
He said the federal charter school program is "in need of key reforms to enhance access and ensure continued educational quality."
There are more than 2.5 million students attending more than 6,400 public charter schools, according to the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools. The alliance says 1 in 20 students in America attends such a school, most frequently in New Orleans, Detroit and the District of Columbia.
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has made expanding school choices a priority, and Democrats and Republicans have found common ground on charter schools.
The bill was opposed by the National School Boards Association. It says decisions about charter schools should be made at the local and state level, not by federal lawmakers.
This week a bipartisan group of senators filed a similar bill in the Senate where the chance of passage appears more uncertain.
Follow Kimberly Hefling on Twitter at http://twitter.com/khefling
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Corvette Museum to completely fill in...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Six Ferguson officers face federal lawsuits...
- Intelligence nightmare: Extremists returning...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Obama to attend wedding of longtime personal...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13