Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Never use the word bust when discussing the NFL draft.
Well, there are exceptions.
Such as the bust that Subway restaurants commission each year when they announce their latest Famous Fan, in this case UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr.
The sculpture, made entirely of vegetables that can be found on a footlong sub, got the once-over from Barr at a Manhattan Subway stop on Wednesday.
The youngster, projected to go in the top 15 in Thursday night's draft, was impressed.
"It's awesome," Barr said. "When they first asked me about it, I said, 'Oh yeah, that'd be cool,' but I didn't know what to expect. Now, I see this giant sculpture that looks just like me made out of veggies; it is spot on. I feel like I am finally and officially a part of the family."
That would be the Subway family, not the NFL, which will happen at Radio City Music Hall about a mile from where the sculpture stood.
Barr joins the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Mark Ingram, Robert Griffin III and Jarvis Jones as having the food bust created in his image.
"I know using the word bust when it's the draft brings a quizzical look," said Tony Pace, Subway's chief marketing officer. "If it is a bust in Canton at the Hall of Fame, that notion is a great thing. But this is a fun way to highlight our ingredients and our product. And it's out of the ordinary."
The sculptor, Jim Victor of Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, got Barr's face down so accurately that even his mustache and stubble (made of black olives, it appears) look real. Two large green peppers near the shoulder blades give the impression of a jersey.
Which jersey Barr will be wearing in the NFL is anyone's guess. He said about a dozen teams gave him private workouts.
"It was a busy month of April and I am glad that is over with," he said. "I'm looking forward to the draft.
"I feel if I am visiting a team, they do think highly of me and want me to come in and make an impact."
He's already made an impact in the food industry.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 74
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37