Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Never use the word bust when discussing the NFL draft.
Well, there are exceptions.
Such as the bust that Subway restaurants commission each year when they announce their latest Famous Fan, in this case UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr.
The sculpture, made entirely of vegetables that can be found on a footlong sub, got the once-over from Barr at a Manhattan Subway stop on Wednesday.
The youngster, projected to go in the top 15 in Thursday night's draft, was impressed.
"It's awesome," Barr said. "When they first asked me about it, I said, 'Oh yeah, that'd be cool,' but I didn't know what to expect. Now, I see this giant sculpture that looks just like me made out of veggies; it is spot on. I feel like I am finally and officially a part of the family."
That would be the Subway family, not the NFL, which will happen at Radio City Music Hall about a mile from where the sculpture stood.
Barr joins the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Mark Ingram, Robert Griffin III and Jarvis Jones as having the food bust created in his image.
"I know using the word bust when it's the draft brings a quizzical look," said Tony Pace, Subway's chief marketing officer. "If it is a bust in Canton at the Hall of Fame, that notion is a great thing. But this is a fun way to highlight our ingredients and our product. And it's out of the ordinary."
The sculptor, Jim Victor of Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, got Barr's face down so accurately that even his mustache and stubble (made of black olives, it appears) look real. Two large green peppers near the shoulder blades give the impression of a jersey.
Which jersey Barr will be wearing in the NFL is anyone's guess. He said about a dozen teams gave him private workouts.
"It was a busy month of April and I am glad that is over with," he said. "I'm looking forward to the draft.
"I feel if I am visiting a team, they do think highly of me and want me to come in and make an impact."
He's already made an impact in the food industry.
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16