John Froschauer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
RENTON, Wash. — Richard Sherman is the latest member of the Seattle Seahawks secondary to be locked up for the long term.
The All-Pro cornerback is getting paid the best of anyone.
Sherman signed a four-year contract extension Wednesday with the Seahawks, a deal that makes him one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in NFL history. Sherman announced the deal on his website ahead of a news conference that was called by the team. Sherman wrote that the extension is for $57.4 million with $40 million guaranteed. It's unclear whether the deal incorporates the final year of his rookie contract in 2014 or is a completely new deal starting in 2015.
Sherman wrote on his website that there is no other team or city that he would want to play for.
"The goal has always been to stay in Seattle and continue to play for the Seahawks," Sherman wrote. "With this chapter closed, I can continue to focus on what is important — defending our Super Bowl Championship and being the best cornerback in the NFL."
Sherman's deal wraps up a solid offseason for the Seahawks prior to the NFL draft. Seattle re-signed defensive end Michael Bennett before the start of free agency. They then reached extensions with coach Pete Carroll through 2016 and a four-year, $40 million extension with All-Pro free safety Earl Thomas.
Now Sherman, a two-time All-Pro selection, is locked up as well.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24