John Froschauer, ASSOCIATED PRESS
RENTON, Wash. — Richard Sherman is the latest member of the Seattle Seahawks secondary to be locked up for the long term.
The All-Pro cornerback is getting paid the best of anyone.
Sherman signed a four-year contract extension Wednesday with the Seahawks, a deal that makes him one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in NFL history. Sherman announced the deal on his website ahead of a news conference that was called by the team. Sherman wrote that the extension is for $57.4 million with $40 million guaranteed. It's unclear whether the deal incorporates the final year of his rookie contract in 2014 or is a completely new deal starting in 2015.
Sherman wrote on his website that there is no other team or city that he would want to play for.
"The goal has always been to stay in Seattle and continue to play for the Seahawks," Sherman wrote. "With this chapter closed, I can continue to focus on what is important — defending our Super Bowl Championship and being the best cornerback in the NFL."
Sherman's deal wraps up a solid offseason for the Seahawks prior to the NFL draft. Seattle re-signed defensive end Michael Bennett before the start of free agency. They then reached extensions with coach Pete Carroll through 2016 and a four-year, $40 million extension with All-Pro free safety Earl Thomas.
Now Sherman, a two-time All-Pro selection, is locked up as well.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20