CAM DOPP, Woods Cross, track & field: This senior finally landed his name in the record books.
At last weekend's BYU Invitational, Dopp shattered the 14-year-old state record in the 300-meter hurdles with a blistering time of 36.30.
The time was 2.1 seconds faster than second place, and beat the old state record of 36.93 set by Jake Garlick — Herriman's current coach — back in 2000.
"I knew I had run a great race, but no way I knew it was that fast. I mean, that's a full second and a half better than my previous (best), so yeah, it feels amazing to have done it here in the finals," said Dopp, a BYU commit.
Dopp also won the 110 hurdles at the BYU Invite with a time of 14.33, the best time in Utah this season. His 400-meter time of 48.14 the week before at the Davis Invitational is the fourth-best time in Utah this season.
Dopp won the 300 hurdles at state last year and finished second in the 110 hurdles. He'll be looking for the sweep at this year's state meet.
ASHLYN VISSER, Herriman, softball: She may only be a sophomore, but her skill and work ethic make her a team leader for the Herriman softball team.
"She is the girl that everyone wants on their team," said Herriman head coach Heidi McKissick. "She is the first one there before practice, and the last one to leave. She is the full package on and off the field."
Visser is an honor student who challenges herself with the toughest classes possible. As the team's starting catcher, she doesn't shy away from challenges on the field either. With a .435 batting average, she leads the team in triples and home runs.
"Her bat was key in helping Herriman defeat Riverton, Lehi and Copper Hills," said McKissick. "Along with her threatening bat, she is solid behind the plate and catches many that try to steal on her. She's a team leader and a team player."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 34
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 28
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16