TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Jameis Winston was reinstated on the FSU baseball team Sunday after completing his community service obligations for shoplifting crab legs.
“Winston is reinstated, yes,” FSU coach Mike Martin said. “He finished his community service and as soon as he did, we reinstated him.”
Winston was seen in FSU’s dugout during Sunday’s 7-1 win against Minnesota.
Winston, the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner and top closer on the Seminoles, was cited last week for walking out of a Publix grocery story without paying for $32 worth of seafood. Leon County Sheriff’s Office representatives stated during a press conference Winston said he forgot to pay and cooperated when he was issued a citation.
Winston was ordered to do 20 hours of community service and was expected to pay the store for the food. Martin said that he always intended to end Winston’s suspension after he completed his community service.
“When I got all the facts is when I said, ‘When he fulfills his obligation, he will be reinstated,’” Martin said.
The citation is not a criminal offense and does not require a suspension under FSU athletics’ code of conduct, but Martin and football coach Jimbo Fisher released statements indicating it was best for Winston to be removed from baseball play until he fulfilled all his legal obligations.
©2014 The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.)
Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 33
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 29
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 24