MIKE JOHNSON, Viewmont, soccer: Viewmont is one of two unbeaten teams remaining in 5A soccer, and the play of this senior captain is a big reason why.
A first-team all-stater a year ago, the outside diamond midfielder has scored 10 goals to pace Viewmont to a 12-0-1 record and a 9-0-0 mark in Region 1.
"He just really reads the game well. He's very good offensively, he's got all the moves and he's built like a soccer player," said Viewmont coach Dave Wigham.
Last week Johnson recorded a hat trick in a 4-0 win over Weber and then added another goal in a 3-0 win over Layton.
In March, Johnson and Bountiful's Carsen Tinker went back to England for a couple of weeks and trained with Sheffield Wednesday's academy team.
"The speed of play was a lot quicker, but I thought I did pretty well," said Johnson, who scored 10 goals as a junior last year.
In the three games Johnson missed, Viewmont went 3-0 with three one-goal wins. Since his return, the Vikes are winning by an average of 2.8 goals.
KENZIE SAWYER, Canyon View, softball: In order to chase her dream to play college softball, Kenzie Sawyer had to give up something she loved.
The senior and four-year starter for the Falcons decided to forgo her senior season of soccer in order to play on a traveling softball team that she hoped would help expose her to softball coaches across the country. She impressed a few coaches and ended up signing with Western Nebraska.
"She's an incredible player to watch," said Canyon View head coach Kyle Delange. "She was really quiet and reserved, and now she's a really vocal leader. She's into everything, just a unique personality. She's so pleasant to be around ... she's so focused."
Athletically, she's been a rock star for the Falcons this season. She's batting .406 with an on-base percentage of 484. She has 12 home runs, with three of those coming against Dixie last week. She had six RBIs in that game, as well.
"She hits with power and she has great speed," Delange said of his centerfielder. "She covers the outfield so well, and she's willing to dive to catch a ball. And she's got an arm."
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- Jazz suffer heartbreaking, last-second loss...
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes about his...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 77
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40