Similarly, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said in Iowa last month, "I don't think the federal government has any role dictating the contents of curricula." Cruz's audience, a convention of Christian home-school advocates, form an influential bloc in Iowa's Republican presidential caucuses.
This month, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, another potential GOP presidential candidate, publicly reversed his support for the standards, citing the "reasonable objections" of parents.
Jeb Bush, a vocal proponent of the standards, has criticized reversals such as Jindal's.
"I just don't feel compelled to run for cover when I think this is the right thing to do for our country. And others have," Bush told Fox News this month.
Whitney Neal, of the tea party-backed FreedomWorks, said objections were "brought to us by our members," and included concerns that teaching to achieve test scores would inhibit education.
"I think our membership is indicative of how people think in the country," she said.
But opinions about Common Core may not be one-sided, according to John McLaughlin, a Republican pollster whose past clients include the conservative Heritage Foundation, Club for Growth and dozens of Republican candidates.
McLaughlin said his research shows that a majority of devout Republicans support Common Core when they are told the standards are voluntary and limited to math and reading.
"When it's about standards, Republican primary voters strongly support it," McLaughlin said.
AP Education Writer Kimberly Hefling contributed to this report from Washington; AP writer Brian Skoloff contributed from Arizona.
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot...
- Co-pilot may have hidden illness from...
- Woman reported kidnapped found safe after...
- 'Downton Abbey' to end after upcoming 6th season
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't seek...
- The Latest: Hospital says it evaluated...
- Royals, actor Benedict Cumberbatch help bury...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 53
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 51
- Texas Sen. Ted Cruz targets... 44
- On 5th anniversary of health care law,... 33
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot... 27
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 22
- Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to... 19
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18