Ted S. Warren, Associated Press
SEATTLE — Clint Dempsey scored twice in a five-minute span early in the second half and set up Lamar Neagle's first-half goal to help the Seattle Sounders beat the Colorado Rapids 4-1 on Saturday.
Dempsey leads MLS with eight goals. He has at least a goal or an assist in each of Seattle's last six games. It is the second time in his career that Dempsey has had a six-game scoring streak in MLS, having done it previously in 2005 while with the New England Revolution.
Obafemi Martins added a 75th-minute goal for Seattle. The Sounders have won three straight to improve to 5-2-1. Dillon Serna scored in the 62nd minute for the Rapids (3-2-2).
Neagle's blast 2 yards in front of a wide-open net gave the Sounders a 1-0 lead 15 seconds into the only minute of first-half stoppage time, and was his third goal of the year.
Dempsey made it 2-0 at the outset of the 47th minute, running onto a loose ball at the top of 6-yard box that Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin had slapped away, but couldn't latch onto.
Then early in the 52nd minute, Chad Marshall headed Gonzalo Pineda's corner kick toward Dempsey, and Dempsey headed it in just over Irwin's reach.
Neagle assisted on the goal by Martins, which was his third goal of the season.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23